Monday, 8 August 2011

sweet dreams

when i found myself home alone on friday night {well as alone as one can be with two sleeping children in their beds & one faithful puppy following my every move}i took the opportunity to spend a little time with my sewing machine {& said faithful puppy at my feet} i've been planning to make this pattern for a while, & had it in my mind to make it as a nightie, now i'm normally a pj's kinda gal, but there are occasions when a nightie would be nice, so i used the tunic pattern from this Japanese sewing book {pattern D} & used some lovely light cotton i'd brought on a trip to ikea, which i'd never really known what to use for 
nightie night
nightie night
nightie night
nightie night
it came together quite easily & quicker than i'd thought {i'd already cut the paper pattern pieces out a while ago}i still find the whole process quite magical, how it all comes together & from a flat piece of  fabric i can make some thing to wear, which actually fits me! the fit is good, although i would only ever use this pattern to make a nightie {as it does rather look like maternity wear, great on the comfort front but not so great for the being seen in public when you're not actually pregnant front!} it's long, finishing past the knees, which is another thing i like, i added a couple of pockets, as i'm a big lover of pockets, i would however make these bigger next time, i think i'd also make the top bodice part longer & i might change where the pleats fall maybe, i'll wear this one for a while to see how it goes

*i'll close the comments on the give-away tonight, then pick a winner in the morning - good luck*

13 comments:

  1. That's really great especially that you did it so quickly. I have loads of ikea fabric lucking at the back of my cupboard waiting for it's day, I am glad that you found a good use for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks too lovely to wear to bed - I'd wear it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really pretty I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good!!

    I'm a nightie kinda gal, much more comfy than PJ's!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty - love the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely. I'd wear that over thick tights and boots in the winter. And I love that Ikea fabric - I have the brown version. it's such a nice pint and ridiculously cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty nightie, I'm very impressed that you can make something so well, so quickly..!

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh well done you from what i can see it looks fab, you know what though i had exactly the same material, i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it, thought i might make some cushions with it but not quite got there yet!!! ps if you have a copy of the pattern then i would love to give it a go to x x helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh cute...i looked at this and thought i love that print...only to realise on a better angle it has green in it...and its the same material that i got from ikea...beacause i loved it with no idea what to use it for...this looks cute as...take care...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks gorgeous and comfy too.
    I am a nightie girl through and through!
    jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, love the fabric too, Ikea do some great ones don't they?! Definitely pretty enough to wear for day.

    ReplyDelete